Saturday, November 6, 2010

My First Thoughts

Well here I am. Let me say a few words about myself. I'm the wife of a retired military man, Air Force to be exact. Retirement has only been two years for us, so we're still adjusting to civilian life. When you live in base housing for twenty-five years, believe me, re-adjustment to life outside the military doesn't come easy.

Our first mortgage payment for instance, was a two-fold experince. On one hand, we were totally exhilerated that we were making the first installment on our own home. This wasn't base housing. We could paint the walls any color we liked. We could put purple carpeting in the living room if we wanted. Well, we could, but as much as I like purple, I don't feel the need to walk on it everyday. On the other side of the coin, gulp! We were making our first house payment. As we sealed the envelope containing that precious first check, my husband and I looked at each other in terror. Could we take on the responsibility of being  homeowners? We hadn't had to pay a utility bill in twenty-four years, Or pay a plumber to fix our garbage disposal or toilet.  Yes, this was all brand new to us, and two years later, it still feels a little strange.

I thank my lucky stars for the experiences my husband's service to our country, gave to myself and my children. I hope to write more about that in the near future, and more about adventures in what I lovingly call Civilian Land.

I also want to write about my favorite hobby. Contests and sweepstakes. I may even have a giveaway or two down the road~!

No comments: