Monday, November 8, 2010

Speaking Of Snow

The frost on the lawn is slowly melting this morning, as the sun shines unobstructed by clouds today. It looks to be a good day here in lower Michigan. As I looked out my window, I started thinking about my sister in Buffalo, Ny where she and I grew up. While I can only reminisce about those extreme winters, she still lives there, and battles the elements.

In 1977, there was a blizzard in Buffalo, so intense, that to this day it is still talked about by the unfortunate ones who got caught up in it, and by those who just read or heard about it.
My brother-in-law, happened to be out shopping at a mall that very night, when the storm hit it's peak. It was so bad that the mall closed it's doors and wouldn't let anyone leave, for fear that they wouldn't make it home safely. They handed out coffee, and hot cocoa, to the stranded shoppers, and allowed people to sit and lounge on the display beds and chairs in the major stores.




                                     
   A familiar winter scene in Buffalo. I wonder how many kids were listening for school closings on this day? lol

No comments: